Sunday, July 26, 2026

Down for a New Cornell Woolrich Biography? One's Coming (by Me)

I finally decided to commit to doing a Cornell Woolrich biography and have a publisher.  Just a small one so I don't know how much publicity we can get, but I will do my best.  I have my title, I have my table of contents and I have written all of 400 words today!  A start.  Basically a page plus.  But starting is the most important thing. 

I feel like I'm peculiarly qualified to do this biography and that, after four decades, a new one is needed.  Francis Nevins' 1988  bio of Woolrich will always be a tremendously important source, but a new, 21st century approach is way overdue. I have done a lot of new research and I think I can provide a somewhat different interpretive take.  My book will also be a shorter, more straightforward, narrative-friendly book, one which will keep Cornell's life front and center.

Hope to finish this year and have out in 2027, a little shy of Cornell's 125th birthday!

6 comments:

  1. Been playing catch-up on (and thoroughly enjoying) all your recent Woolrich posts, and this is wonderful news! Well-deserved, after all this time, to have another biography out there, and I can think of no better person to write it. Major congrats, even if it's just a small publisher, and very much looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I really appreciate what you've written too and I am sure I'll be quoting you. I got 1400 words words done today and I am quite pleased with it. Always great to nail the opening. I have every intention that this book will be under 100,000 words, maybe closer to 80,000 but we will see. It's going to be a lot more thematically concentrated than Nevins' encyclopedic book. No spoilers!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm past 3800 words now, got through the first of three sections of the first chapter. There will be six chapters. I'm actually aiming at a short book of about 200 pages, but we will see. Typically my books of this sort run more to 350. So far it's writing like a dream.

      Delete
  3. Adding my congratulations! I know you've written so much about him over the years, I feel like I know him...I know you'll do a well-written and thoughtful book. You're judicious with the facts and your speculations are always backed up with insight and intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hope you know him even better after this book. Writing has been going well.

      Delete