Thursday, September 12, 2024

Otto Penzler's Proscription

I received a message today from one of Otto Penzler's employees, telling me that 

Otto, in the midst of the pile-on last winter, went on Facebook to see what people were saying about him and was surprised to see you jumping in to criticize him and his publishing history....I think he was particularly hurt by your suggestion that he might be homophobic. As such, he has said he’s not interested in working with you going forward….


This all occurred during the dust-up (or "pile-on") over Otto speaking at the Boucheron earlier this year.  Ironically I originally made my initial comment on mystery writer Lee Goldberg's post saying why I wanted to stay out of the whole fuss:

Been reading about the fuss with Otto Penzler at the Bouchercon. Looks like that will leave a lot of bad feelings all round. I guess the Edgars over their history have mostly undervalued the traditional mystery, but Otto has done a lot for it with his publishing ventures. I've gotten a few jobs, good paying ones from MP, which I have to say I appreciate. Honestly, I would do more for them if they asked me. His editor has been very nice to me. My book Murder in the Closet was nominated for an Edgar, the first queer nonfiction study so nominated I think. No Anthony nomination, lol. So, really, I feel I will just stay out of this one.

I thought that actually was pretty measured.  Honestly, the Bouchercon has never done anything for me.  But then I reacted to a quote from Otto that Lee Goldberg included in a blog piece criticizing Otto.  Here's my "homophobia" comment from back in February:

"Men take [writing] more seriously as art.  Men labor over a book to make it literature."  Eek.  I remember this but didn't remember it was that blatant.  It's these sorts of attitudes that help explain how the homophobic First You Dream, Then You Die won an Edgar.  

That's it, that evidently is what led to my proscription by Mysterious Press.  But I stand by what I wrote.  

I did not say Otto was homophobic. I was even told, in the year of our Lord 2024, that Otto has "gay friends." (Yes that old chestnut.) Good for Otto! 

Myself I think he is more criticism-phobic, but I'm in no position to judge him personally on this matter. However, I did suggest that he had been obtuse to the homophobia in the Francis Nevins Cornell Woolrich bio he published.  I think quite obviously plenty of people were over the years.  No one publicly commented about the vile antigay subject matter matter in this book for decades until I did.  I go into detail about the homophobia of the Nevins bio here.  Also myriad other problems with it.  

Otto strikes me as rather sensitive for someone who seems to have something of a history of going out of his way to say insensitive things about others. (There is plenty more that could be quoted.) But his proscription of me illustrates Lee Goldberg's point about his "fellow mystery writers, who are so afraid of speaking out against Otto Penzler...."  (See linked article.)  They appear to have reason to feel that way. Otto must have gone through scores of posts on Lee Goldberg's FB page looking for anything in any way deemable of being criticism of himself.  

The last few years I wrote intros for reprints of Roger Scarlett, Q. Patrick and John Rhode for Mysterious Press.  Otto himself praised my Scarlett intro to me (see below).  After that I corresponded only with his employee, but his employee, someone I always enjoyed working with, praised my work too.  

But now I have been proscribed because of an honest criticism I made of a needlessly offensive and to be frank rather dumb comment Otto made.  You should have read what other people were saying.  At least I acknowledged the good things Otto had done for the genre.  If I criticized his publishing history it was for the one homophobic book.  I'll post more on that book later.  

I have done a huge amount of work on queer mystery writer Rufus King and know even more that I haven't written about concerning him.  No one, but no one, knows this author like I do.  But I wasn't asked to write the intro to the Murder by the Clock reprint, it now appears to me, because I offended the Great Man.  And it illustrates precisely the problem that Lee was writing about.  If I hadn't posted an honest thought on Otto's silly statement and the homophobia in the Woolrich bio I might have gotten to write about Rufus King.  

I said what I honestly thought about a current issue in the mystery world; and if I'm to be punished by the power-that-be for that, that's how it goes I guess.  I am but a poor scholar, not a rich suck-up. 

If, like the Elon Musk of the mystery world, Otto out of wounded vanity thinks it demonstrates his commitment to queer history to kick to the curb the queer guy who has devoted much of his life to these projects so be it.  

It's a challenging struggle doing my work the last year with all its adverse circumstances, but I will keep at it as best I can.  Once Otto wrote me of my work: "You have done a masterful research job on an author (s) that have always seemed somewhat remote and unknown.  Thank you for taking so much time and care with this amazing introduction."  

That was nice.  Moods change though.  

After Otto sent these words I just worked with his employee, but, still, it was nice to be appreciated for a time.  I guess he felt I owed him my silence. Whatever the case with that, I don't now.

4 comments:

  1. First saw the news on FB—I haven't been plugged into the mystery community enough to hear about the (various!) controversies surrounding Penzler over the years, but I did some googling today, which sent me down a nice, drama-filled rabbit hole, heh. His lack of reading comprehension and the sheer thinness of his skin with regards to your comments would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic, but alas. (As an aside, I guess this explains why I never got any particularly good or impressive vibes from his various pulp anthologies—certainly not enough to make me want to go out of my way to read any of them.)

    I'm sorry to hear he's cut ties with you, if only because of the loss of professional opportunities, but, well, good riddance to bad rubbish, as they say. In the meantime, wishing you the best in all your future (and any current, non-MP-related) endeavors!

    P.S. I STILL can't believe he tried to use the "I have gay friends!" defense in this year of 2024. [insert captain-picard-facepalm.gif]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't pretend that Otto didn't say goofy things, he did. It would seem self-evident to anyone. That doesn't mean he hasn't made a lot of important contributions to the mystery world of course. Even the Nevins bio, problematic as it is on several grounds, has its uses.

      As for the homophobia business I was talking about the Nevins book that was published 35 years ago. I certainly was not speaking about OP now. I have no idea of his attitudes about queer people, however many "gay friends" he has. All I know is that he and a lot of other people seem never to have noticed the the antigay attitudes that are endemic to this book, which is based on the once omnipresent conception of the "self-hating homosexual" Believe me a lot of people's "gay friends" would have noticed it. But the mystery world back then was a much different place. I believe my book Murder in the Closet was the first LGBTQ book to be nominated for a non-fiction Edgar. In 2018.

      I regret not being able to write about Rufus King in a high profile place, I was the most qualified person to be doing it in terms of actual knowledge, of which I am sure MP is perfectly aware. I thought I was being excluded for a mystery writer on saleability grounds (that has happened before, like with another queer writer Todd Downing) but now I conclude it was because of the FB comment.

      Doing good work is not enough. All regimes change eventually. Some people told me that the Nevins book could never be challenged.

      Delete
    2. Doing good work is not enough. All regimes change eventually.

      I think that's it, really. Even if you've done good things for a genre, you still have to keep up with the changing landscape, lest you become a sad dinosaur. At the very least, you need to learn how to keep your mouth shut, so that your outdated ideals can't inadvertently shoot you in the foot. About the whole "men take writing more seriously," it speaks volumes that Penzler doesn't even have the grace to come out and say, "Yeah, that was stupid and sexist, my bad."

      Re: the Nevins bio, I think it's been able to fly under the radar for so long because there simply haven't been a lot of eyes on it. The casual homophobia (and misogyny, and even bouts of racism) jumped right out to me when I started reading it, but who aside from vintage mystery/noir fans (most of whom skew white, straight, and male) is going to pick up a Cornell Woolrich biography? I've mentioned it on my own blog, but my issue with the book is not that it exists, but that it's come to be regarded as some sort of bible, instead of a stepping stone for others to build on. To touch on another genre, Janice Radway's Reading the Romance is a similarly flawed, dated text, but plenty of people in the romance community are capable of acknowledging that while still respecting it as an important entry in romance scholarship.

      That the Nevins bio is just now, FINALLY, starting to really be questioned might just come down to timing. One would think Barry Malzberg (if no one else!) would have had enough clout to make a noticeable dent in past decades, but I also think it's easy to forget just how tragically recent a lot of LGBTQ gains—and the mainstreaming, as it might be called, of queer culture—really are. When I was in high school in 2000, for instance, it was common to hear the phrase "that's gay" thrown around as a synonym for "uncool." Still, we do our best with what we have at any given point, and try to keep learning—the ones who want to stay relevant, at least.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the irony is I actually credited Otto for his contributions, maybe Otto didn't see that post. But it doesn't cancel out other things. He made a point of picking fights with Sisters in Crime, etc., saying very offensive things and never apologizing as far as I'm aware when called on it. In many ways Otto reminds of people like Donald Trump and Elon Musk. He's been a bomb thrower who gets away with things because he has power and people are afraid of him.

      Nevins book is a disaster in many ways and Penzler goes around praising it. I don't know that he's homophobic--how would I know?--but I have no doubt he just didn't notice these things. He's wasn't alone. How about the Edgar committee that awarded the book. I there's a bio Penzler should be proud of publishing it's Doug Greene's bio of John Dickson Carr.

      Delete